The New Zealand numbering format is: 64 + 8 or 9 or 10 digits.
Geographic area codes: 1-digit plus 7-digit number
64 + 24 Scott Base, Antarctica (64 + 2409 + four digits)
64 + 3 South Island (including Chatham Islands)
64 + 4 Wellington
64 + 6 Lower North Island
64 + 7 Central North Island
64 + 9 Auckland and upper North Island
Mobiles/pagers: 2-digit code plus 6-, 7- or 8-digit numbers
64 + 20 Mobile service
64 + 21 Mobile service
64 + 22 Mobile service
64 + 23 Mobile service
64 + 24 Mobile service (except 64 + 240)
64 + 25 Mobile service (network closed)
64 + 26 Paging service
64 + 27 Mobile service
64 + 28 Mobile Service
64 + 29 Mobile service
Note: Mobile number portability is in place between the following mobile operators:
Spark New Zealand, formerly Telecom New Zealand (W-CDMA/LTE)
Vodafone, including the former TelstraClear MVNO (GSM/W-CDMA/LTE)
The affected number ranges are: 64 +20; 64 + 21; 64 + 22; 64 + 27; 64 + 29.
Special services: 2-digit code plus 6-digit numbers
64 + 83 Special voice services (including audioconferencing and mailboxes)
64 + 86 Paging service (Spark New Zealand)
64 + 87 Packet Data Network Access via ISTN, includes Internet access
International routing numbers (where bilateral agreement exists)
64 + 120 Home Country Direct
64 + 809 International Free Service
64 + 8352 International Virtual Private Network (service closed)
# Operator only access.
● No or limited collect service. Where collect calls to mobiles are not allowed, operator calls are barred.
^ Mobile number portability applies between the following mobile operators: Spark New Zealand, Vodafone, 2degrees. The affected number ranges are: 64 + 20; 64 + 21; 64 + 22; 64 + 27; 64 + 29.
Note: All vacant codes will return an English voice recording wherever possible.
Directory Assistance (24-hour)
The directory operator code is 64 + 6 + 018
Spark New Zealand (formerly Telecom New Zealand) no longer operates an international operator service and there is no access available to a Code 12 operator.
The following audible tones are used in the New Zealand national network:
- Ringing tone (or queue announcement) will be received while the wanted customer or operator is being called.
- Busy tone will be received if the wanted line is engaged.
- Number unobtainable tone or recording will be received when the number dialled is not available on a direct dialling basis.
- Disconnect tone will be received when the call has been lost due to congestion in the New Zealand national network.
- Calls to invalid area codes will often return a recording in English.
- Recorded announcement: Overseas customers dialling an invalid number will usually be connected to the following recorded announcement: "Telecom in New Zealand advises that the number you have called has either changed or is no longer obtainable. Please call your international directory service." There will be no answer signal on this message.
New Zealand Standard Time (NZST): UTC + 12 hours
New Zealand Daylight Time (NZDT): UTC + 13 hours
(from the last Sunday in September until the first Sunday in April)
Note: Local time in the Chatham Islands is 45 minutes in advance of New Zealand time.
NZ public holidays 2014 2015 2016
New Year's Day Wednesday, 1 January Thursday, 1 January Friday, 1 January
Day after New Year's Day Thursday, 2 January Friday, 2 January Monday, 4 January*
Waitangi Day Thursday, 6 February Friday, 6 February Monday, 8 February
Good Friday Friday, 18 April Friday, 3 April Friday, 25 March
Easter Monday Monday, 21 April Monday, 6 April Monday, 28 March
ANZAC Day Friday, 25 April Monday, 27 April* Monday, 25 April
Queen's Birthday Monday, 2 June Monday, 1 June Monday, 6 June
Labour Day Monday, 27 October Monday, 26 October Monday, 24 October
Christmas Day Thursday, 25 December Friday, 25 December Monday, 26 December*
Boxing Day Friday, 26 December Monday, 28 December* Tuesday, 27 December*
*Note: Where the actual day falls on a weekend, the public holiday is observed on the following Monday or Tuesday.
Queries about the New Zealand numbering scheme should be directed to: email@example.com